Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Blogger's Quilt Festival Part 2

AmysCreativeSide

The Blogger's Quilt Festival at Amy's Creative Side is a chance to see hundreds of beautiful quilts, each one a favourite of its creator. I've decided to join the fun and enter two of mine. One is my Swoon Monster Quilt in the home machine quilted category.

This quilt is in the scrap quilt category.

My DD had asked me to make a quilt for our guest room, the colours to be pink and brown to echo the colours in some art prints on the wall. I'll be honest, I had never thought of using those colours! We started collecting scraps and fat quarters , and before long I was happy with the colour choices.

I knew I wanted it to be scrappy and started making  bordered squares in different sizes. I spent a whole quilt retreat on it. Days and days of boxes. Fortunately by some fluke I made the boxes in sizes that would fit together: 2.5, 5, 7.5 and 10 inch. Fitting them together into an arrangement that I liked took some time, but finally it came together.





My friend commented that the quilt made her think of chocolate ice cream, and so we called it Neapolitan.
There's more strawberry than chocolate anyway! 

I quilted it on my home machine in a pattern called orange peel. The backing is from Connecting Threads with a pattern exactly like that same quilting pattern. The dark brown border is actually pink dots on brown and the outer border was the first fabric that we got, that inspired us in the first place. The binding is Kona, I can't remember which brown.




The quilt measures 88" by 96"

I hope you will enjoy browsing all the great quilts in the Blogger's Quilt Festival. I know I will!

3 comments:

  1. Quite lovely...reminds me of chocolate covered cherries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love love this!! I've been wanting to do something similar and I started it but I certainly don't have enough scraps in three colours so it's going to be more random scrappy. It will probably take me forever but this is exactly the nudge I need! Great work.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I love hearing from you. Really!