Saturday, June 28, 2014

My Favourite Quilt

I have been reading the Sew Mama Sew series this month on favourite quilts. (I'm Canadian, that's how we spell favourite. Bear with me!)

Here is the link to the start of the series on June 1st. I have a lot of reading to do, to catch up on which quilt people have for their favourite, and why. The ones I have already read were so interesting! It started me asking myself "Which is MY favourite?"

I will follow the question and answer format used by Jessica of Quilty Habit throughout the series.


This photo is bleached by the bright sunlight, but I like the shadows, and you can certainly see how bright the colours are!

 Tell us about your favorite quilt. When did you make it? What pattern did you use? What fabrics?

I started this quilt after seeing lots of pictures of Camille Roskelly's Swoon pattern, and joining Katy's Swoon Along on Flickr. That was in 2011. I finally finished it in August 2013.
The fabrics are mainly Gypsy Bandanna by Pillow and Maxfield with some other stash fabrics added. I used about 13 different fabrics from that line.

 Have you shown it at any quilt shows or entered it in any contests? 

I showed it in the Blogger's Quilt Festival, not otherwise.

 What do you like best about the quilt?

The colour and fabric combinations in the stars. I love brights, you can tell! The binding is a diagonal rainbow stripe, perfect. Everytime I look at my quilted feathers, I smile at my fears, and how (relatively) well it turned out!
 How did you grow as a quilter while making it?

There were a lot of "firsts" in the making of this quilt. It was my first real attempt to use value and contrast. The blocks can look so different according to fabric placement. In a wild moment I decided to make the blocks different sizes but I had no idea how to figure out placement. I used Quilt As You Go, and I quilted it densely with feathers in the background. Another two firsts.

If you could make this quilt again, what (if anything) would you do differently? 

I would try to be braver, spend less time thinking, and finish it faster!




 Where is the quilt now?

It is on a quilt rack in my hall, and whenever I put it on my bed I get a nice feeling of accomplishment!

Linking to:
My Favorite Quilt at Sew Mama Sew


Sue





3 comments:

  1. I love this quilt! Nice to learn a little more about it. It's also a neat take on the swoon. Just wondering, did you use a specific tutorial for QAYG? I have been thinking of doing my own swoon, someday, in that way, but I am not sure how to go about it. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh... How very Pretty! Love the sharp crisp colors! I can see why it is your FAVOURITE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This quilt turned out fantastic! It is absolutely stunning.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I love hearing from you. Really!